Meta verified has quickly started rolling out across Australia, New Zealand, and the United States and boy is it causing a stir! I’ve seen mixed reactions with some super excited about the feature and others totally annoyed by it. I get it, people who are already verified have concerns that verification will become overly saturated, resulting in verification feeling less exclusive. Others are irritated that Meta has the audacity to charge for verification, thinking it’s a total rip-off!
On the other hand, I think this is a great feature that’s long overdue. I’ve already signed up and been approved and the process was super quick and easy. At the end of the day, Meta had to introduce a subscription-style business model to boost profitability. After Elon Musk introduced Twitter Blue, it’s no surprise that Zuck was quick to follow.
Users have complained for a long time about reduced reach on both Facebook and Instagram, particularly on Facebook which is very much a pay-to-play platform if you want your followers to actually see your content. With that being said, I think a paid verification subscription is well worth the small fee if it’s going to increase reach and visibility, particularly when you take into account how expensive paid ads have become. In addition to increased reach and a blue verification badge, Meta has specified that you will also receive:
Increased protection from impersonation with proactive account monitoring for impersonators who might target people with growing online audiences. This feature is so important. Account impersonation has affected so many people and businesses I know so having this feature is going to be a game changer.
Help when you need it
Help when you need it with access to a real person for common account issues. This feature is long overdue! There are SO many times my clients have come to me with account issues and one was even locked out of their account for a month! Being able to speak to a real person in real time to help with these issues is invaluable, in my opinion.
Exclusive features to express yourself in unique ways. I’m yet to see new features but I’d say these will be rolling out as they continue to develop the subscription service.
So let’s discuss exactly how to get you verified on Instagram.
- Firstly, to be eligible for Meta Verified on Instagram, you must be at least 18.
- You need to have a public or private profile, with your full name listed and a profile picture that includes your face.
- You need to have two-factor authentication enabled and meet minimum activity requirements, such as prior posting history.
- You will need to have a government-issued ID, like a driver’s License or Passport, that matches the name and profile photo on your Instagram profile.
- Once you’ve established that you’re eligible for Meta Verified, go to the settings section on Instagram and select “Account Centre”.
- If the subscription is available in your region, you will see an option called “Meta Verified”. Click on that and then select the account you want to verify.
- From here you’ll be taken to a payment section where you can select your preferred payment method for your monthly subscription fee. If you’re in Australia, that fee is $24.99 per month and if you’re in the States, you’ll be charged $14.99 per month.
- Following this, you’ll be asked to submit a government-issued photo ID and that’s it! It can take up to 48 hours for Meta to verify your government ID however, in my experience, I was verified within an hour.
My account is a creator account so I was able to get verified as a personal brand but unfortunately, the Meta Verified subscription is still unavailable for businesses. Hopefully, this feature will roll out soon for businesses because it’s certainly valuable and worth the investment.
If you found value in this post and want to learn more about how you can work 1:1 with me to master Instagram marketing so you can reach more dream clients and customers, without the overwhelm, click here to apply for a free strategy call with me where we can chat more about what it would look like to work together!
Click here to learn How to Boost Instagram Engagement And Brand Loyalty With These 6 Proven Strategies